Just scored the first Mac I ever used!

I just scored the first Mac I ever used! My best friends Quadra 605, that he received for Christmas 1993. Neither he or I have seen or used the computer in over 10 years. Long story short, I now own my childhood home and his dad still lives two doors down. I knew my friend didn't take the computer with him when he moved out and I don't really ever talk to his dad, but today he saw me outside and asked me a computer question, so I just happened to ask if he still had the old Mac. He said there was some old thing in the basement and that I was welcome to have it. I went over to take a look and sure enough, it was the 605!

So, I hauled it home and the first thing I did was open the case to see if the battery had leaked... and, unfortunately it has. I have pulled the motherboard out to try and clean it up. It doesn't look as bad as some that I've seen, so maybe there is some hope for it. The metal shield on the inside of the top cover also has some significant rust damage from the battery leaking

***Time lapse***

After cleaning the board, I discovered that the battery holder was barely attached to the motherboard on one side and not at all on the other, so I just pulled it off. Everything else *looks* to be in good shape... I'll have to attach a new battery holder to see if she wants to fire up!

In addition to the motherboard my wife and I have cleaned up the case pretty well. I removed all the electronic bits and we gave it a good washing.

Today, I went out and purchased a new battery holder... it has long wire leads instead of short exposed metal leads, so I'll end up velcro-ing the holder to the board and running the wires to the appropriate spots on the board. To be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The NeXT Mac

Apple II Serial Terminal

Fried Apple