Classic II #2... Needs some work...

Broken.

Eventually, I was going to pull out a computer that legitimately didn't work. I knew they were there. At least this one is my "spare" Classic II. Still, I can't help but feel bad for it.

If I had to make a guess, I would say this Mac is the victim of bad capacitors on the motherboard. Since, this is a spare computer I really don't have anything to lose by washing the motherboard to remove the conductive fluid from the leaking capacitors.

As of this writing, I have removed and (my wife) washed and rinsed the motherboard. I am going to let it dry for a while - possibly a couple weeks, to make sure there is no water left to short out the components and cause more damage.


I'm not really confident that washing the board will allow the computer to boot, but again I have nothing to lose. Either way, the capacitors need to be replaced. I'm not sure if I'll do this or part out the computer for spare parts for my other Mac's or just put it on the shelf for decoration. At the very least I'll probably pull the RAM and drives for spare parts if I don't repair the system.

I'll post the results of the board washing in the next couple weeks...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The NeXT Mac

Apple II Serial Terminal

Fried Apple