2.5 Years to Dry

I finally had a reason to get back to the "Classic II #2" project that I started working on about 2.5 years ago. When last we left this malfunctioning Mac, I had finished washing the motherboard to see if that would serve as a temporary fix for the leaking caps. Unfortunately, the office remodel put everything I was doing on hold.

Well, the good news is that it did work. After reinstalling the board, the computer booted up flawlessly. However, I was brought back to this project through a trade proposal for this Classic II and an Apple 3.5 External 800k floppy drive in exchange for a Power Mac G3 All-in-One (AIO).

Normally, I wouldn't be interested in something that recent, or your average run-of-the-mill Power Mac. The AIO is different. It is both rare and unique, and something I just couldn't pass up. So, as of last week, I no longer own Classic II #2, which was a model variation on my Classic II #1. #2 is the original Classic II sans speaker grille on the left side. Classic II #1 is the later model after the grille was added to improve sound quality. Hardcore as I am about model variations in compact Mac's, I had to let it go.

I will go more in-depth into the AIO in a later post. I also might put together a comprehensive list of compact Mac model variations. There are a lot more than you would think.

Comments

Admin said…
Awesome!

The Classic II has been a good machine, needed to be all re-capped, but what vintage mac doesn't these days?

- and one thing, Thanks for upgrading that External 800k drive to 2m Sony Superdrive for me.
That drive rocks socks! I use it all the time!

if you ever need g3 aio parts let me know.. i am keeping some parts machines around to ensure we will have some.
also i have Many iMac 233 REV.B - iMac 500 slot load parts machines too.

We need to re-cap your enhanced sound Classic II. and many others.

Here are the links to the capacitors you should get to have in-stock,

Tantalum Capacitors - Solid SMD 16volts 47uF 10% - .24 cents ea for 100
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/AVX/TAJD476K016RNJ/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22f0Jgorj1M1ux2eqZRFky9I%3d

Tantalum Capacitors - Solid SMD 16volts 10uF 10% - .9 cents ea for 100
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/AVX/TAJB106K016RNJ/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22f0Jgorj1M1uAIB6Y%252b4Mecg%3d

Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors MLCC - SMD/SMT 1206 1uF 50volts Y5V 20% - .4 cents ea for 50
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Vitramon/VJ1206V105MXATW1BC/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuMW9TJLBQkXv4PQUEt9ESmtVAVnTFKDSc%3d

Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 16volts 220uF 8x16 20% - 53 cents ea for 100
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/TVX1C221MAD/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22SmzhV1iNnMtjYmUo8aB0%2fw%3d

Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 470uF 16volts 20% - 60 cents ea for 100
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Sprague/516D477M016MN6AE3/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22fPWwtj8kO8azLOJJDHFqCc%3d

Popular posts from this blog

The NeXT Mac

Apple II Serial Terminal

Fried Apple